Family Birthing Center and Mother Baby Unit
Swedish Hospital's Family Birthing Center is staffed with medical experts and offers a comfortable, home-like setting. Following labor and delivery, you may be transferred to our Mother Baby Unit, providing a comfortable place for families to visit the mother and newborn.
Family Birthing Center
Swedish Hospital’s Family Birthing Center was designed to provide clinical expertise and leading-edge medical capabilities in a comfortable, private and home-like setting. During your stay, our expert, caring staff takes time to make sure your needs are met, and we are happy to answer your questions along the way.
- 50% of patients receive an epidural to relieve pain without eliminating labor-related pressure to help you remain attentive.
- Nitrous oxide is available as an additional pain management tool for labor and post-birth procedures.
- Jacuzzi, pullout bed, rocking chair and dinette area.
- Birthing stools, birthing balls and squatting bars available upon request.
We offer monthly tours of the Family Birthing Center, as well as an array of educational classes to help you prepare for baby and beyond.
Intermediate Care Nursery
Swedish Hospital’s Intermediate Care Nursery (ICN) can provide care to infants who are moderately ill with problems that are expected to resolve rapidly. These infants are at moderate risk of serious complications related to immaturity, illness and/or their management.
In general, care in our ICN is usually limited to newborn infants who are more than 32 weeks gestational age and weigh more than 1,500 grams at birth or who are recovering from serious illness treated in a Level III NICU. Newborns that are seriously ill may be transferred to a facility with a Level III NICU.
Mother Baby Unit
Swedish Hospital's Mother and Baby Unit provides a comfortable place for families to visit their newborn. Mother and baby can room together in a private, home-like setting with a pullout bed for dad or other support person.
- A certified lactation consultant is available for every patient.
- Our nursing staff is highly trained in breastfeeding to enhance
your breastfeeding experience.
- Our outpatient breastfeeding clinic is available for additional
support after discharge.
- Pullout bed for support person.
- Dinette area.
- Entertainment center with a flat-screen TV.
- WiFi, allowing you to share the good news of the baby’s arrival!
For more information, call 773-989-3834.