The breast health program at Swedish Covenant Health is a comprehensive wellness program which assists women on the emotional and physical journey that accompanies breast cancer screening and diagnosis. The program cares for the whole person, not just the illness. The multidisciplinary team at Swedish Covenant Health, including primary care physicians and OB/GYNs, work together to consider the interactions of all activities—including exercise, diet, screenings and prevention.
Services Provided by the Breast Health Program
- Encourages women to complete recommended breast cancer screenings
- Provides information to the community about breast health and the importance of early cancer detection
- Addresses women’s concerns and provides compassionate, personalized care if they have an abnormal mammogram
- Provides healing services such as nutrition, massage therapy, exercise and yoga
- Helps reduce the time from screening to diagnosis with the use of advance technologies such as 3-D mammography. This sophisticated technology takes multiple sweeping images of a woman’s breast, making it easier to see abnormalities and providing a faster, more reliable diagnosis.
Screening is Essential
The dedicated staff at Swedish Covenant Hospital works year-round to educate patients and the community on the essentials of preventing and detecting breast cancer. Healthy breast care along with the proper frequency and starting age includes:
Start performing monthly starting at age 20; your physician can show you how to do properly do a breast self-exam.
Clinical Breast Exam
Receive yearly from an OB/GYN, primary care physician or other trained medical professional. Receive at least every three years starting at age 20 and annually after age 40.
Receive yearly after age 40. Swedish Covenant Hospital uses digital mammography. Mammograms are the best available method to diagnose breast cancer in its earliest stages, according to American Cancer Society's recommended screening guidelines.
Swedish Covenant Health offers 3-D mammography
. This innovative mammogram technology provides physicians with higher quality, more detailed images and scan results, which means more accurate diagnosis for our patients.
3-D and sophisticated 2-D imaging capabilities benefit younger women and those with dense breasts in particular by locating and identifying abnormalities or suspicious lumps that may have been overlooked in the past.
Swedish Covenant Hospital is one of first and only hospitals in Illinois offering this technology.
In contrast to traditional imaging, breast tomosynthesis technology imaging leads to:
- Earlier breast cancer detection
- Less anxiety and faster diagnoses
- Fewer false alarms because of unclear images
- More accurate images in young, dense or fatty breasts
Schedule Your Mammogram
To make a mammography appointment, please call 773-878-6888
. Unlike other leading hospitals where appointments can take months, we adjust our schedules to allow patients to be seen within seven days. If your primary care physician is not affiliated with Swedish Covenant Health, you can still schedule your mammogram with us. Your results will be faxed to your physician.
In harmony with Swedish Covenant Health's philosophy, breast cancer specialists on staff understand and treat the whole woman throughout the diagnosis, treatment and healing process.
Swedish Covenant Hospital's Center for Advanced Therapy is affiliated with both local and national organizations that work to provide excellent care to cancer patients in the Chicago area. The Breast Health program at SCH is generously supported by grants and donations from numerous foundations and individuals. We wish to thank all of our donors, but especially the following:
Swedish Covenant Hospital Foundation
Swedish Covenant Hospital Associates Board
A Silver Lining Foundation
National Breast Cancer Foundation, Inc.
Susan G. Komen Chicago
The Coleman Foundation
To learn more about the breast health program, please contact the breast health navigation line at 773-293-5234.