Given Congress’s end to funding COVID-19 testing and treatment, patients may now receive a bill for COVID testing-19 and treatment services that are not fully covered by insurance.
Swedish and NorthShore will continue to provide COVID vaccines at no out-of-pocket cost to patients.
If you need a COVID-19 test:
An appointment time is required for both forms of testing.
- Walk in to one of our NorthShore Immediate Care Centers with your photo ID and insurance card
- We are providing RT-PCR tests, with results typically available within an hour, across all clinic locations
- If you need a test and your insurer only covers part of the cost of test, you may be asked to pay the total or balance of the cost of the test
- Individuals who are concerned about their ability to pay for COVID testing can apply for financial assistance. Learn more here. (https://www.northshore.org/about-us/billing/financial-assistance/)
- To find a community-based testing site that provides low cost or no cost tests, click here (https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/sites/covid-19/home/covid-testing.html)
- Out-of-pocket fees associated with COVID-19 testing are:
- COVID Test: $165
- Office Visit: $98-$116
- If you have a known exposure to COVID-19, or have symptoms consistent with COVID-19, remember to mask up immediately and follow other safety best practices pending test results.
If you’re unable to get a COVID-19 test at NorthShore, consider other testing options in your community.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Long Will It Take to Get My Results?
Testing results will be available in 36-72 hours. Please do not call for results.
How Will I Learn My Results?
Please refer to your NorthShoreConnect account. If you are positive your primary care provider or a Swedish Hospital provider will call you with your results.
What Happens if I feel Worse?
Call your primary care provider and they will direct you as to what to do next. If your symptoms are severe, please call 911.
What Should I Do to Help Myself?
If you Test Positive for COVID-19 – Isolate
Get lots of rest, keep hydrated, wash your hands frequently and avoid public areas. Take acetaminophen for fevers (which is a temperature above 100.3 degree Fahrenheit).
- Stay home for 5 days
- If you have no symptoms or your symptoms are resolving after 5 days you can leave your house
- Continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- If you have a fever, continue to stay home until your fever resolves.
If you were exposed to someone with COVID-19 – Quarantine
If you: Have been boosted OR completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine within the last 6 months OR Completed the primary series of J&J vaccine within the last 2 months
- Wear a mask around others for 10 days.
- Test on day 5, if possible.
- If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home.
If you: Completed the primary series of Pfizer or Moderna vaccine over 5 months ago and are not boosted OR completed the primary series of J&J over 2 months ago and are not boosted OR are unvaccinated
- Stay home for 5 days. After that continue to wear a mask around others for 5 additional days.
- If you can’t quarantine you must wear a mask for 10 days.
- Test on day 5 if possible.
- If you develop symptoms get a test and stay home
Are there other costs associated with COVID-19 testing?
Common charges associated with COVID-19 testing include:
- COVID High Throughput Test: $230
- Office Visit: $208-$466
- ER Visit: $793-$1,295
Please contact Financial Services at
855-216-4763 if you have additional questions.