Physical therapy at Swedish Covenant Hospital begins with a thorough evaluation and assessment of your current condition to determine the best course of treatment. Each treatment plan is customized to your unique needs and situation and may include:
• Guided exercises for range of motion and pain relief
• Supervised exercise on fitness equipment for strength, endurance and cardiovascular and circulatory health
• Stretching exercises for flexibility, an important and often overlooked aspect of physical fitness
• Education on proper body mechanics and injury prevention
• Electrical stimulation and ultrasound for pain relief
• Baltimore Therapeutic Equipment (BTE) Work Simulator—a state-of-the-art rehabilitation tool that duplicates the physical challenges of everyday tasks
• Pool therapy in a dedicated warm-water therapy pool
• Family and caregiver education to ensure you get the support you need at home
• Close coordination and communication with your primary care physician
For more information, please call 773-878-6888.
Benefits of Physical Therapy
As a physical therapy patient, we can help you acquire safe and beneficial exercise techniques and learn how to use your body in a proper and healthy way. Over time and through hard work, pain can be minimized and strength and mobility gained, thereby preventing injury.
The benefits of physical therapy apply to a wide variety of conditions and situations such as:
• Post-surgery rehabilitation for people who have had hip replacements, knee replacements, arthroscopy and other types of orthopedic surgery
• Neurological conditions such as stroke, head injury and multiple sclerosis
• And other conditions, including:
• Back and neck injuries
• Sprains, strains and other soft tissue injuries
• Work-related injuries
Specialists are available to treat people with incontinence, balance and dizziness problems and sports injuries.
Requirements for Physical Therapy
You must have a physician's order for physical therapy. Physical therapy is offered on either an outpatient or inpatient basis. Therapy also is available through home health care for people who are homebound.
Treatment is covered by most insurance policies. Check with your carrier to ensure that you have adequate coverage.
Treatment length varies, but the goal for each patient is the same: to help you manage your condition and live as comfortably and fully as possible.
To make an appointment, please call the appointment center at 773-878-6888
. For information on what is required for physical therapy, please visit frequently asked questions
or call 773-989-1681