Whether you've been to an Emergency Department before or not, we want to make you as comfortable as possible while keeping you informed about all aspects of your care. Your visit may take some time, so we ask for your understanding—we will take care of you to the best of our ability as quickly as possible.
Here is what to expect during your visit:
Triage: Nurses assess the patient's injury or illness
- Patients with the most urgent, life-threatening medical conditions are treated immediately
- Patients with less severe conditions may be asked to visit the family lounge until the next treatment room is available, although the nurse, in conjunction with the physician, may begin your care and diagnostics at triage before you are brought back to an exam room.
- Patients with minor ailments are treated in our Quick Care area, which is open from 10 am to 11 pm seven days a week
Treatment: An emergency physician completes a medical screening exam
- Patients may need an EKG, lab tests, X-rays or other procedures
- Patients may be given medications
- Patients may require a consultation by a specialist physician
: Patients are discharged or admitted
- Patients may be discharged to return home
- Patients may be instructed to visit our discharge window to process paperwork prior to leaving
- Patients may be admitted to the hospital for further care
- Patients will receive important information and education counseling about their discharge or admission
- If discharged, the patient will receive a referral for follow-up care from their primary care physician or a community clinic
We know visiting the Emergency Department can be a stressful time, and we make every effort to help you feel comfortable and relaxed. Our family lounge features home-like decor, including a fish tank, fireplace, television and children's play area. Vending machines are also available.
Emergency Department Renovation
Swedish Covenant Hospital is excited to announce plans for an Emergency Department renovation to further enhance service to the community by improving the operational efficiency, flexibility and throughput of the department.
Though this is a stressful time, we know you will receive the best treatment while in our care. If there is anything we can do to make your experience more positive, please do not hesitate to talk to one of the Emergency Department staff.