Diabetes Self-Management Program at Our Diabetes Community Center
We offer comprehensive education, resources and support to patients who are diagnosed with type 1 or type 2 diabetes, prediabetes and gestational diabetes. Our diabetes self-management program is accredited by the American Diabetes Association and provides patients with high-quality education to manage their diabetes.
Whether you are newly diagnosed with diabetes, are struggling to control the condition or would like an update on the latest research, medications and trends about your condition, we will be here to assist you.
Our program provides:
• Access to registered nurses and dietitians who will individualize your education on lifestyle changes, meal planning, use of blood sugar meters, continuous glucose monitoring system and insulin pumps
• One-on-one counseling, group classes and self-management training
• Nutrition counseling
• Recommendations for endocrinologists who have advanced training in diabetes care
Our diabetes specialists work with your primary care physician to help you achieve optimal control of your diabetes. By providing comprehensive education and information about self-care, we can help you decrease complications and improve quality of life!
Educational topics include:
• Disease process and progression
• Proper nutritional habits
• The importance of physical activity
• Medication use and safety (oral, insulin and insulin delivery systems)
• Blood glucose monitoring
• How to prevent, detect and treat acute and chronic complications
• Goal setting and problem solving
• Psychosocial adjustment
• Preconception care, management during pregnancy and gestational diabetes
A physician’s referral is needed for diabetes education services. If your insurance doesn’t cover the cost of education, we have a subsidized rate to help you receive the education at a low cost.
View additional resources at the Diabetes Community Center>>
For more information about our diabetes program, call at 773-989-2292 and ask for Muna Siddiqi or Debbie Davis.