New - Our Diabetes Self-Management Program has been recognized once again by the American Diabetes Association for providing patients with high-quality education to manage their diabetes!
If you have recently been diagnosed with diabetes, or if you are looking for ways to better control the condition, the Diabetes Community Center (DCC) staff is here to assist you.
Our diabetes specialists work with your primary care physician to help you achieve optimal control of your diabetes. By providing comprehensive education and information about self-care, the DCC can help you can decrease complications and improve your quality of life.
The DCC provides resources and materials for people living with type 1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, gestational diabetes, pre-diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance. A physician’s referral is needed to access the center’s services. Educational topics include:
- Disease process and progression
- Proper nutritional habits
- The importance of physical activity
- Medication use and safety (oral, insulin and insulin delivery systems)
- Blood glucose monitoring
- How to prevent, detect and treat acute and chronic complications
- Goal setting and problem solving
- Psychosocial adjustment
- Preconception care, management during pregnancy and gestational diabetes