Swedish Covenant Hospital in Chicago has created an environment based on what expectant mothers have told us they would like.
Family Birthing Center
Our Family Birthing Center offers a comfortable, home-like setting with privacy, security, pullout bed for dad or other support person, rocking chair, dinette area, VCR and CD player, computer hook-up and much more. For more information on the Family Birthing Center, call (773) 989-3834.
Family Birthing Center Tour
View upcoming dates >
Watch a virtual tour! >
For a full description of our childbirth sevices, please click here >
Visiting Guidelines Hours and Guidelines
Swedish Covenant Hospital believes that the presence of family and friends is supportive and essential to our patients' healing process. Our visiting hours are designed to allow family members and friends to visit their loved ones at times that will protect all patients from disruption.
Visitation is welcomed 24-hours, but suggested patient visiting hours are:
9 a.m. - 8 p.m., every day.
As a reminder, visitors who are experiencing fever or other flu-like symptoms are discouraged from visiting patient at Swedish Covenant Hospital.
It is suggested that children under the age of 12 (per IDPH guidelines) visit between the hours of 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.
- For the safety of child visitors, children under the age of 12 must be accompanied and supervised by an adult (other than the patient) at all times. Children left with a patient are considered unsupervised.
- For the safety of child visitors, parents/guardians will ensure that their children behave in a manner appropriate for the healthcare setting (no yelling, running, jumping on furniture, or any other behavior that poses a safety risk to other patients, visitors, and staff members.) Hospital Staff may ask Parent/Guardians to monitor their children's behavior.
- For the wellbeing of the child and patient, infants and children under the age of 12 are discouraged from visiting patients under isolation precautions.
- During a public health incident or during influenza season (October-May), children under the age of 12 are not allowed to visit patients on any hospital unit.
- Children should not be used as interpreters unless the patient is experiencing a highly urgent medical emergency. Interpretive service is available as a courtesy to hospital patients.
We thank you in advance for your cooperation with these guidelines. Your cooperation will help to keep our patients, staff and community healthy.
Teaming with Other Leading Hospitals
Extending our Family Birthing Center capabilities even further, Swedish Covenant Hospital has teamed with board-certified neonatologists from other leading hospitals.
Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital
In partnership with Swedish Covenant Hospital, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital of Chicago extends its top-rated expertise to provide 24-hour on-site and on-call coverage for your newborn. Lurie Children's neonatologists and "hospitalists" (board-certified physicians who practice medicine solely in the hospital environment, not in private practice) further enhance quality of care for our youngest patients.
For a full description of our Pediatric Services, please click here.
Mother and Baby Unit
When the big moment arrives, our team listens to your needs — from pain control and high-risk issues to special menu options and service pampering extras.
The new Mother and Baby Unit provides a comfortable place for families to visit their newborn. Mother and baby can room together in a private, home-like setting with a pullout bed for dad or other support person. A dinette area with a refrigerator and entertainment center includes a television/VCR, cassette tape and CD player, completing the comforts of home. Additionally, a computer hook-up is available, allowing the new family to plug in a laptop and e-mail the good news of the baby's arrival.
Want to see for yourself? We offer monthly tours of the Family Birthing Center, as well as childbirth and breastfeeding classes. To register for an upcoming tours, visit our Pregnancy, Postnatal and Children's Classes >
For a full description of our Childbirth Services, please click here.
March of Dimes Partnership
Swedish Covenant Hospital has partnered with the March of Dimes to lower the number of babies born too soon at our hospital.
We are among 100 hospitals nationwide currently working with the March of Dimes in implementing the “39+ Weeks Quality Improvement Service Package” which helps hospitals develop and implement policies and procedures to reduce medically unnecessary (elective) inductions and cesarean deliveries scheduled before 39 weeks of pregnancy.
Click here to read more about our partnership and the “Healthy Babies are Worth the Wait®” campaign >