Excellent screening and diagnostic services are the essential first step in the continuum of quality cancer care. That's why we place great importance on these services at Swedish Covenant Hospital, offering the latest technology through programs designed to reach as many individuals in our community as possible.
Our goal is to achieve a cancer-free community for the neighborhoods served by Swedish Covenant Hospital. To support this goal, we regularly offer convenient public health screenings—either free or at a reduced rate—for various types of cancer, including breast, prostate, colorectal, uterine, skin and lung. Lectures often accompany these screenings, to provide the community with the education and support necessary to aid prevention.
Mammograms can be scheduled at Swedish Covenant Hospital within one week. Even if you've had a mammogram before, make sure you're up to date. If your primary care physician is not affiliated with Swedish Covenant Hospital, you can still schedule your mammogram with us. Your results will be faxed to your physician. To schedule your appointment, please call our Call Center at (773) 878-6888.
• Recommended Screening Guidelines
If a biopsy is deemed necessary, patients at Swedish Covenant Hospital will receive the least invasive, most rapid test possible. We offer:
- Sentinel node biopsy, which can quickly determine the stage of cancer by identifying the first node affected.
- Ultrasound-guided biopsy, a minimally invasive technique for obtaining tissue for examination.
- Stereotactic biopsy, which uses mammography to guide the radiologist to the suspicious site within the breast so tissue extraction can be minimal and precise.
- Bone marrow aspiration, in which bone marrow is removed and analyzed to diagnose cancer or determine if it has metastasized.
- Transvaginal ultrasound, a method of imaging the genital tract and pelvic structure to determine the presence of abnormalities that could indicate cancer. The test uses an ultrasound machine that emits high-frequency sound waves to create a superior image compared to traditional procedures.
Our laboratory services function with state-of-the-art speed and accuracy. The hospital's lab was the first in the Midwest to implement one of the most highly advanced automated sample management and processing systems available, the Advia WorkCell. This system, which operates 24 hours a day, uses computer-driven robotics to process samples and report results.